Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The thunder rolls




What did I tell you? EVERY (not some), but EVERY time I say things are getting better, they soon get worse. Ady has had 2 15 mg doses of Prevacid for 10 straight days. I decided yesterday that I wouldn't give her the morning dose, just the evening one. (FYI-a baby is not "supposed" to get more than 15 mg Prevacid (to my understanding), until they weigh 60 lbs, but 15 mg just doesn't seem to be enough for little Ady).

So, I was "brave" and did a day without it. And what was our day like? Just a sample of the journal entries:

9;30 spit massive amounts, spit massive amounts again, spit massive amounts again
11:00 spit massive amounts of breakfast (x3)-the breakfast she had 3 hours prior; very squirmy, fussy, restless, wouldn't sleep
1:00 lunch
2:30-started nap
2:55 screamed out a horrific sounding scream (what we used to hear at night). What is this sound? I assume reflux pain
3:00 up from nap spit MASSIVE amounts. Already gone through 9 bibs since 1:00.
4:00 playing in crib happy and all of a sudden screaming in agony, nothing can console her
4:30 starving because she had spit so much
Very fussy, restless
7:00 tried to put to sleep, screamed for 35 minutes; very fidgety/fussy
9:00 woke up to feed. Burped at every ounce. VERY restless, squirmy, after 1 oz of formula screamed at the top of her lungs and projectiled everywhere (Then stopped screaming).

Are you with me here, people?? This reflux is no walk in the park. So.....what did I do today? Gave her the morning dose of Prevacid! However, she doesn't have enough to last her until we go to the doctor on Monday. I called to see if we could be worked in before Monday and that wasn't possible. Next step, trying to get more medicine. I called and spoke with a nurse. She relayed my message to the doctor. She called me back and he said he would write her for more tablets, but he "really really wanted her to try and just take one dose a day". So, I explained to the woman that we can do that but she is just in agony when I do. She said, "well, I'd hate for you to spend a lot on this and then turn around on Monday and he gives you something different." So...I decided, "gulp", not to take the pills. The nurse said the doctor wanted to see my journal when I came in on Monday. I'm going to do Wednesday, Thursday, Friday without a morning dose so that I have MORE than enough "evidence" that this is just not working for her. I don't know what he'll do from here. Write her for 2 tablets a day? I think so. I think once he "sees" in my notes how much better she is with a stronger (but, "illegal" dose, I know) then he will do it. Maybe there's another medicine? I was told Prevacid was the only drug of it's kind approved for infants. Maybe he'll send her to another doctor. She is still spitting a lot.

This is what our day yesterday looked like. No smiling for photos. She was hurting. My poor, poor baby.


Well, for the next few days the thunder will be rolling. Hopefully we'll get a break in this storm soon. I love Ady, but this has been much harder than I ever could have imagined. Again, so very grateful this morning that I am here with her everyday. If anybody is going to be "putting up" with this, it's her mommy!

If you're reading this, please say a prayer for little Ady. I pray for her body to be healed from this pain and for the doctor(s) to know exactly what to do and wisdom in doing so!

1 comments on "The thunder rolls"

Angel Borland on February 8, 2011 at 12:03 PM said...

praying for your sweet girl and her mommy!

(i always remember you in my prayers, but know that you need them even more right now!)

Post a Comment